Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Nervous anticipation

So this is it, today is the day that America votes for its 44th President.

To think that the campaigns for Obama and McCain began almost two years ago is amazing yet this evening will feel just as long for the two candidates I’m sure.

I am already anxious and nervous as to how the evening will unfold. I cast my mind back to the last American general election four years ago, when confident of a Democrat win (in the form of John Kerry), George Bush won a second term in the White House and surprised me and many others. I am now really hoping the same will not happen again.


But looking at the opinion polls throughout the election, why should it? Obama has consistently been ahead in the polls and McCain has suffered massively in terms of public opinion with his handling of the economic crisis and, of course, Sarah Palin.

The bottom line is that if all those who pledged to vote Obama, vote Obama, he will be the next President of the United States of America. In some parts of the country, voters were being drawn to the polling stations with sausage rolls and hot drinks, so long as they all turned up and voted Democrat...

I've also been careful not to mention the Democrat buzzword, because I'll be honest (and I'm sure you'll feel the same) I'm a little tired of hearing it. But nonetheless, Barack Obama is the favourite to win and hopefully that will not change.

For me, the night is young...